Rani Jhari is a hidden gem in the Western Ghats of Karnataka and is 55 Kms from Mekanagadde Homestay in Chikmagalur. It is a viewpoint that offers a breathtaking panorama of the mountains, valleys, and forests. Rani Jhari means “Queen’s Pond” in Kannada, and it is said that a queen used to bathe here in a natural pool.
Rani Jhari is located near Kalasa, a small town in Chikmagalur district. It is about 40 km from Mudigere, and can be reached by a jeep or a four-wheel drive vehicle. The road to Rani Jhari passes through lush green coffee and tea estates, and ends at a clearing where you can park your vehicle. From there, you have to walk for about half a kilometer along a narrow trail that leads to the edge of the cliff.
The view from Rani Jhari is spectacular, especially on a clear day. You can see the majestic Ballalarayana Durga fort on a hilltop, which was built by the Hoysala king Veera Ballala II in the 12th century. You can also see the Kudremukh peak, which is the highest point in the region. The valley below is filled with mist and clouds, creating a surreal effect.
Rani Jhari is a perfect place for nature lovers, photographers, and trekkers. You can spend hours admiring the scenery, listening to the birdsong, and feeling the breeze. You can also trek to Ballalarayana Durga fort from Rani Jhari, which takes about 3 hours one way. The trek is moderate to difficult, and passes through dense forests and grasslands.
Rani Jhari is one of those places that will make you fall in love with Chikmagalur. It is a place where you can experience the beauty and tranquility of nature, away from the crowds and noise of the city. If you are looking for an offbeat destination in Karnataka, Rani Jhari is a must-visit.
- Rani Jhari is a scenic viewpoint near Kalasa in Chikmagalur district of Karnataka, India.
- It offers a stunning view of the edge of the Western Ghats and the Ballalarayana Durga fort.
- The place is surrounded by lush green forests and tea and coffee plantations.
- The best time to visit Rani Jhari is during the monsoon season when the mist covers the landscape and creates a magical atmosphere.
- Rani Jhari is an ideal destination for nature lovers, photographers and trekkers who want to explore the unspoiled beauty of the region.