Nestled in the Bababudan hills Chikmagalur is a calm serene town full of scenic surprises, hills, valleys, streams and snow white coffee blossoms. Situated 251 kmsf rom Bangalore, Chikmagalur is a trekkers delight with its rugged mountain trials.
1. Bhadra Wildlife sanctuary: (Muthodi) 38 kms. North West, this sanctuary is a must for wild life enthusiasts. Gaur, Chital, Sambar, Elephants and Tiger are some of the wild life found here.
2. Kemmangundi: 55 kms. North of Chikmagalur, this is as scenic hill station, situated on the Bababudan range at a height of 1432 mtr. 8 kms. From Kemmangundi are the Hebbe falls where the water gushes down form a height of 168 stages. The Kalahatti falls are 10 kms, from Kemmangundi. The water here cascades down a height of 122 mtrs. There is also a local temple here.
3. Kudremukh: 95 kms. South West of Chikmagalur is the secluded hill station of Kudremukh situated 1894 mtrs. above sea level. The Kudremukh hill overlooks the Arabian sea and are chained to one another with deep valleys and steep precipices. There is rich flora and fauna here, waiting to be discovered, Caves asking to be explored, Ruins and traces of an old civilization inviting a study. Lovely unspoiled places to camp – can trekker resist Kudremukh? This place is also rich in iron-ore deposits.
4. Amruthapura: About 10 kms. from Tarikere, this little town has an 800 year old temple dedicated to Amrutheshwara.
5. Sringeri: Is a pilgrim center, known for its Vidyashankara temple. It has 12 zodiac pillars on each of which the sun rays fall accordingly to the time of the year.